The Buddy System – It Works
The secret to my success
BY Nicole Goodno, Group Fitness Instructor
If you’re like me and sometimes struggle with your motivation or you simply want to squeeze more out of every workout you do, then one of the smartest moves you can make is get a workout buddy – or even better, workout groupies.
Did you know? Having the right workout buddy or buddies (those who push you and don’t let you skip a day) can truly be the difference between success and failure; average or mind-blowing results.
Before I found my tribe, I felt lost and unmotivated. The secret to my success and happiness is my willingness to step outside my comfort zone and find people who had similar interests, likes, needs, wants and desires. People who would be supportive and accepting. People who would hold me accountable for my actions.
The right workout buddy helps you give it your all. If you want great results then you’ve got to work hard to achieve them. Remember, whatever you put in, you get out. Here are just a few things accountability partners can do for you:
- Make working out more fun – yes, you’re sore, but you’re all sore together. Misery loves company after all!
- Help you achieve your personal health and wellness goals.
- Encourage you to try new workout classes – say goodbye to being intimated if you walk into that Studio with your posse.
- Motivate you through support and inspiration – you’ll all share in your individual victories.
- Push you to become stronger through friendly competition
- Make your workouts safer – spotters aren’t just for lifting weights.
- Increase your commitment enormously – you won’t want to let each other down by skipping a workout.
Having a good workout buddy is going to move you more quickly towards your fitness goals – much faster than if you go it alone. What qualifies someone as a good workout buddy? Here are some things to keep in mind when you are searching for your workout partner or tribe:
- You like them – you share similar interests outside the gym or just click when you are together.
- They are a fitness role model – you know this is someone who won’t let you wimp out and will keep you motivated and accountable.
- They have a positive energy and attitude – negative Nellies are not good partners!
- They share similar fitness interests and goals – whether your goals are short or long-term, you agree on the end goal and the path you are going down to reach it.
- Your schedules are compatible – this is one of the most important ones, but one you probably don’t think of right away! Make sure both of you have at least two times during the week that you can commit to each other’s health.
Do you have a workout buddy in mind after reading this? If you’re surrounded by people who are active and eat well, there’s a good chance you’re going to do the same and that’s success. If you’re searching for a workout partner, the Innovative Health & Fitness Facebook page is a great place to connect with other members and start a conversation. Be sure to like our page and follow us for more information: If you’re still unsure how to go about finding a workout buddy, feel free to seek out an Innovative Health & Fitness personal trainer (always in red) to give you some tips. They may even have someone in mind you can partner up with! Contact us at (414) 529-9900, ext. 730. We’re always here to help.